Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

If This is Curvy, What Am I?

Levi's now has a new line of jeans with the tagline "Hotness comes in all shapes and sizes."  The line is called Curve ID and is touted as focusing on shape rather than size.


The Starbucks-esque sizing comes in names like Slight, Demi, Bold and Supreme. Levi's claims to be celebrating beauty in all sizes.

So why do the ads look like this?


Ummm. THAT is Bold? Where exactly are the different shapes we are supposed to be celebrating?

None of these models comes anywhere near the average size 14 of American women. I think it's safe to say not a single one is more than a 6.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud Levi's for its effort to make jeans that look good on real women, but the company's decision not to use any of these women in their ads is nothing short of an epic fail.

This was the perfect opportunity to show women as they really look. And there are some gorgeous women out there that aren't afraid to eat a cookie. 

Remember this one?


I'm pretty sure Marilyn wouldn't have turned people off of Levi's had she been hocking their jeans.

So I suppose my message is this -- Levi's, I appreciate the effort but it's time to put your money where your mouth is. Put up or shut up. We'll be watching.

1 comment:

  1. Amen sister! I haven't seen a real woman in an ad since the Playtex girls. I haven't seen these jeans yet, and will certainly take a look now!

    This is a topic that is very close to my heart. I was in my first pageant at age 12, and by age 18, I was dealing with full blown anorexia and bulhemia, and I believed that I was SUPPOSED to look like the girls that I saw in the print media. I also believed that torturing yourself to look this way was normal. Years later, when I learned about AIRBRUSHING and other tools that are used to make someone look perfect in an ad, I realized that none of these girls are what they appear to be.

    My daughter is 17, and has a beautiful figure. She wears about a size 7, and is large chested, which makes her uncomfortable, but she really is "stop traffic" pretty. I watch her obsess over her weight and no matter how much I tell her how pretty she is, she still compares herself to what she sees at school (behaviors), and television.

    When are we, as women, going to evolove to the point where we only compare ourselves to....ourselves?

    ReplyDelete