Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Robbers Cave State Park a/k/a the Day We Pretended to Be Outdoorsy

I hope everyone is surviving the return from Spring Break.  I enjoy Spring Break even though I generally work through it.  There is just something about Mike and the kids being home and getting to run around and have a good time that makes me happy.


I took off on Friday and enjoyed a great day with the family and my brother and nephew, who was enjoying his final Spring Break before heading off to college next year.  Avery and I even made it out to see The Hunger Games.  (Team Gale!)

On Saturday, the weather was beautiful and we decided to drive a couple of hours south to Robbers Cave State Park, near Wilburton, Oklahoma.  I am so happy we did.  We stopped off at Pete's Place in Krebbs on the way down and enjoyed their family-style Italian dining.


Pete's Place is very charming.  It is designed to look like (and may have once been) an old house.  Each family has its own little room to eat in and the food is served family-style.


We started with anitipasto and salad.  The fresh cheese was delicious.

 
The main course consisted of meatballs, ravioli, spaghetti and Italian sausage.  We stuffed ourselves (you know, to prepare for the rock-climbing activities to come) and still left with enough leftovers for a family of four.


Robbers Cave got its name because it is believed that outlaws used the caves as a hideout.  Belle Starr was known to house fugitives and lived just 20 miles away.  This is the actual "Robbers Cave."


Payton started out a little nervous about climbing, but after just a few minutes, she had no fear and insisted on leading us over the rocks and through the crevices.


Look at the view!  I wish I was a better photographer.  Maybe I should take a class.  But I digress.  (This message brought to you by the makers of Adderall.)


 The girls got into the outlaw spirit.


We managed to squeeze through some pretty tight spaces.
  

It's not like we had much choice considering the kids would take off through some tiny hole then yell at us to hurry up through the other side.  At least a couple of times, the girls advised me to "suck it in."  I get no respect.


It was an amazing day that I think the girls will remember for a long time.  Maybe they'll even bring their kids someday, like my parents brought me.  (The first thing my mom said to me when I told her where we went was, "Hey, do you remember the time you threw up there?  Yes.  Yes, I do.)


We often forget to slow down and just take a few minutes to be thankful for each other.  When we do, we wonder why we don't do it more often.


We finished off the trip with some frisbee time...


...and some playground action.


And then a brief pause on the way home to gaze upon Big Mac (that's the federal prison in McAlester for the less hip crowd) to explain to the girls why they should always listen to their Mom.

Couldn't hurt.

Later gator,
Stacy


2 comments:

  1. Lottie Mae TurbyfillMarch 28, 2012 at 3:48 PM

    Cool pics. I remember when my uncle Fud made parole and me and daddy went up to the prison to get him. We got up there on the wrong day and went to Robbers Cave to spend the night. We had Eyetalian food too but it was them little alphabet noodles from a can.
    Sure is nice to see people going up there because they want to. We HAD to stay there. The guards wouldnt let us sleep in the car outside the prison gate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe we could meet up there for a camping weekend this summer. Do you know the proper way to prepare gizzards?

      Delete